Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Covering the cushions on Grandma's chairs


For as long as I can remember these chairs have been a part of my grandparents living room.  Grandpa sat in one every evening, when he wasn't sitting on the bench which was placed over the hot air vent.  He helped me with math homework from this chair.  He was so quick with math, it was like watching a magician.  He would also retreat to one of these chairs during particularly chaotic family functions, and it was always a relief to be able to excuse yourself as well, to go sit with Grandpa.  As a child I would sit in this chair and place a board over the arms to play solitaire.  I particularly liked the board that my mother had illustrated with pictures of poodles and little girls, back in the 1960's.

Recently my mother asked if I could make cushion covers for the chairs.  Those too had not changed, in all of my memory and were showing the wear of possibly 40 years of derrieres.  So I set about to fulfill my mother's wishes.  She chose the colors and purchased the first round of yarn.  Ultimately it was a few months and many more trips to the craft store before I was finally finished.  I think they turned out ok.  I imagine that Grandpa would have appreciated them, too, if for no other reason than the fact that I made them.

2 comments:

  1. He would have loved them. He loved everything about his grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But not throw rugs, he used to say that there should be a law against throw rugs. I don't believe that he and Grandma saw eye to eye on that issue.

    ReplyDelete