Tuesday, May 4, 2010




It is 1:30 am. I am awake because I became obsessed with creating a small cross stitch pattern of a strange stuffed animal I purchased for a dollar at Target. In cross stitch the the animal measures about 1.5"x1.5".

I was trying to clean up a bit, and was putting shoes away in a my front closet when I rediscovered this stuffed animal, which I had purchased years ago to give to a friend. I decided that I would finally put a gift box together for her. It would include this stuffed animal, which at one point I deemed too adorably bizarre to give away. As I carried a small box, a pile of green yarn and the stuffed animal back to my room it occured to me. This little guy should be a cross stitch. So, I stacked my graph paper and a pencil onto of my pile and off I went.

After laying in a rough sketch I began to work with the squares. It is difficult to surrender detail, I am still learning the capabilities of the medium. I find it soothing to break images down into little cubes. I wonder if this is how Picasso felt when he was being rocked to sleep by fairies as a cartoon duck sang to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment