Friday, November 19, 2010

Jefe, what is a plethora?

I have a plethora of yarn.  I have been accumulating it for years now.  While moving has necessitated the disposal of some of the more unruly clumps of knotted skeins I still find that I have more yarn than one ought to have.  It is tucked into hidey holes all over the house.  I have a broad spectrum of yarn, too.  Dollar stores, discount shops, remnants, and inherited yarn leaves me with a random hodge podge of unrelated balls and floppy, loose skeins. 

I have determined that I will find purpose for all of this yarn, and so I have set out to work through my collection.  So, whether it is a simple hotpad, or a stuffed bunny rabbit complete with sweater and hat I will begin to chronicle my progress.
Hot pads are the simplest way to get rid of extra yarn.  The red was from a blanket commissioned for a young man.  The green was selected for a blanket that never got made.  The orange is from a sweater, which although it was designed for a baby- I made adult sized.  I'll upload a photo as soon as I relocate the sweater!

This hotpad and bracelet came from a small skein found on sale at Joanne Fabrics.  I think I was just taken with the texture of it, but had no plans for its use when it was purchased.

The handtowel (a staple at craft bazaars) is also a frequently requested gift item from my mother.  The yarn is old enough that I forgot its origins (most likely a dollar store).  I think I may have made a youth blanket with it.

Left over baby blanket yarn.  I bought too much, because it resulted in 2 baby blankets and a scarf.

This scarf was made with an inherited skein of yarn.  I used the afghan stitch, which I'm thrilled to say was taught to my by my 11 year old niece!

While at Target I saw fingerless mittens (with a mitten hood) and crocheted ear muff.  It was yet another, I could do this myself moment.  So I did.  I used dollar store yarn which had been purchased to make purses (one of which I actually sold to a security guard at my place of employment).  Alas one of the mittens is larger than the other, because I did not follow a pattern.

Yarn from the blanket that never was.  My grandmother sent me to her crochet binder, where she chronicled every pattern and project she had made.  She told me to retrieve the mitten pattern (this after I told her that my mittens were of two different sizes).  The hat is out of the Happy Hooker book and has ear flaps and buttons.  The scarf again utilizes the afghan stitch.



This rabbit is made from the unused yarn from a baby blanket and sock yarn.  His ears have pipecleaners in them to hold them up.  He has no legs.  I ran out of yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment